Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Colic Monster

Dear Kyle-

It would not be a true recap of the past five months of your life if I did not take some time to write about our adventures with your colic. When you were about three weeks old you started routine crying fits in the evenings. Mommy and daddy were not quite sure what was wrong with you but all we had been reading about newborns said it was common for babies to get fussy in the evenings as they processed their day. However, your crying seemed much more than just a fussy baby and lasted for almost 3 hours. After talking with the nurses we concluded that you were one of the 30% of babies who is colicky. Your dad was also colicky as a baby so we got lots of support from your Grandma Schardt.

This was honestly one of the most trying and challenging times of your mommy’s life. It was heartbreaking to not be able to do anything to console you and you quickly got the nickname “screaming meme”. You usually started up around 5:00 when you dad got home from work and stopped between 9 and 10 at night. Your dad and I would take turns holding you while you screamed and sometimes it got to the point where we would have to put you in your swing to cry by yourself. I apologize if you ever felt unloved during this time. I never stopped loving you but I was very distressed with your behavior and sometimes we needed a break to recharge. There is nothing worse than a screaming baby. Many nights you would bring the entire family to tears as we wondered what we did to deserve such an unhappy baby. Everyone assured us that usually by 3 months babies grow out of colic and it disappears as quickly as it starts so we began the countdown. Most parents don’t want their babies to grow out of the sleepy newborn stage but your daddy and I could not wait! After about a month and a half we became used to the colic routine and entered each night armed with ear plugs and determination to make it through the evening without breaking down. By two and a half months the crying fits started to lessen in duration and by three months they were pretty much completely gone.

I am happy to say that with a lot of prayers and help from Grandma Shannon and Grandma Mary we survived those trying three months and through it I gained a great deal of patience and strength that I never knew I had.


No comments:

Post a Comment